close
close

Latest Post

The 31st Annual Blues and Jazz Festival Returns to Frontier Park Columbia Watch | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News

RICHMOND, Ind. – A Richmond woman has been charged after a baby died at her unlicensed babysitting business earlier this year.

Shawntae Griffee, 36, is charged with reckless supervision by a child care provider, a Level 6 felony.


Richmond Police were called to the 1100 block of South M St. in Richmond for a report of a juvenile not breathing. Upon arrival, officers found Griffee performing CPR on an infant near the entrance. The officer then took over and performed four rounds of CPR. Moments later, the Richmond Fire Department took over from the officer. Emergency crews transported the 8-month-old baby, Xyaire Wilson, to Reid Hospital, where he later died.

Later that day, police were called to investigate the crime scene. Detectives searched the house, collected evidence and took photographs.

According to court documents, Griffee babysat eight children for payment on Jan. 22. Baby Wilson was dropped off around 7:30 a.m. The suspect said Wilson played for hours until she put him in a SleepSack for a nap around 10 a.m. SleepSacks are wearable blankets that help infants sleep and swaddle, the Cleveland Clinic and court documents say.

Shortly after 2 p.m., Griffee found Wilson lying face down with the blanket and nursing pillow. At 2:11 p.m., a witness coming through the front door saw Griffee performing CPR on the baby. The witness called police from his cell phone and reported the incident to officers. The witness said Griffee attempted to call police while simultaneously performing CPR, but told them to call an ambulance. The time of death was given as 2:57 p.m., January 22. The initial suspected cause of death was respiratory arrest.

On March 28, Griffee received a cease-and-desist letter from the Indiana Family & Social Service Administration ordering him to stop operating an unlicensed children’s home.

The final autopsy report listed the official cause of death as positional asphyxia on April 5.

In court documents, the Department of Child Services noted that swaddling cloths “should not be used after the second month.”

The information will be updated as soon as it is available.